Super Bowl and the Big Green Egg sees like the perfect match to us! Who doesn’t love chili, biscuits, wings, pizza, and football? And did you know you could cook all of these and more on the Big Green Egg? This versatile charcoal unit really is the only barbecue you need! So if you’re looking for some ideas for you Super Bowl party, here’s a great chili recipe courtesy of Big Green Egg and Chef Ray Lampe, Dr. BBQ.
Race Day Smokin’ Chili
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 -28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 cups low salt beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 -12 ounce can beef consommé
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups grilled or smoked beef, cut into medium dice
- 1 -15 ounce can of dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 -15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
Preheat a dutch oven in the EGG at 350°F/177°C over direct heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside. Add the oil if needed. Add the onion and green pepper and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook a few more minutes. Add the tomatoes, chipotles, broth, water, consommé, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar and pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Add the beef and return to a simmer. Cook for one hour adjusting the Egg to maintain a simmer Add the beans and more water only if needed. Chop the bacon and add it back to the pot. Cook another 30 minutes. Check for salt and add if needed.
Makes about 10 servings.